Most people make promises to themselves to change their lives at the beginning of each year. These resolutions are driven by hope, fueled by discomfort, and usually abandoned in silence.
At this stage of the year, I’d like to offer my Mid Year Resolutions. I figure – Why not “take another whack” at some of these?
Some I had intended as New Year’s promises to myself, and … abandoned, others just came to me as I was walking my dog.
1) Stop re-reading sent emails to ensure that they were well written. Guess what? It’s too late to do anything about it!
2) Stop asking: “What is WRONG with people?” We all have deep issues, and this question is unanswerable. Stop it.
3) Wake up with a smile, however hard it might be to force it. Get to the mirror in the first few minutes of having my feet on the floor, and make some ridiculous, over- reaching smiley face back at myself. OR – watch a video of penguins walking up and down the aisle on a Southwest Flight. Really – it exists! Take a look…
4) Unsubscribe religiously from lists that I have been enrolled in because I bought ONE THING three years ago from this online provider. Next time a “special” or “sales” email arrives, I’m gonna UNSUBSCRIBE! Makes me feel so… empowered!
5) Treat others BETTER than I would like to be treated. Even though we still use phrases like The Gold Standard, and even though this statement is a re-working of the Golden Rule, I wonder if we realize how precious gold, and golden moments really are? Treat others BETTER than I would like to be treated. Let people pass on the freeway. Let them squeeze into the 15 items or less lane with 17 items. Pay attention to people, pay attention to the sun and the clouds, and pay attention to the fact that re-reading emails you have already sent is, well, …a little odd.
What are YOUR mid-year resolutions?